Arizona

Dad's Winchester Model 70 Custom Supergrade

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Justin Justin 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Justin
    Justin
    Participant

Growing up in West Palm Beach Florida, whenever we went to my Grandma’s farm in Alabama and did any hunting, it was with shotguns. My dad had a 12 ga Remington 1100, and I had a single shot Ithaca Model 66 20 ga. My dad had a Nylon 66 .22, but we did not have any high powered rifles. One of my high school friend’s family owned several very large tracts of land in south/central Florida, and after the first time I went there deer hunting with him I knew a rifle would be better suited than my dad’s 1100 I was using. Most of the hunting on that property included setting up on a stand overlooking large pastures with shots of over 100 yards. There were also several large tripod stands (15’+) set up in the middle of the pastures.

So as 15 year old, my dad and I set out to find a rifle. I read all of the magazines and really fell in love with the Winchester Model 70 and the pre-64 action. My dad was an accountant and had a client that ran a high-end hunting and fishing store that catered more towards the Palm Beach rich folks going on safari and fly trips. On their rack, was a gorgeous Winchester Model 70 Custom Supergrade in .270 win. The marbled walnut stock was amazing, and the triple jeweled bolt and action were as smooth as butter. It turns out the rifle had an interesting history; it was on consignment sale and supposedly came from the Shah of Iran’s brother in law’s collection. It would be really interesting to see if the history of the rifle could be traced and verified. It’s serial is G1### (G and 4 digits) so I know it is at least a supergrade out of the custom shop.

My dad bought the rifle…..for himself, allowing me to use it when needed. Spending such a large amount on the rifle itself (~$700 in 1991 if I remember correctly) meant that the optic that went on it was a Redfield Partner 3-9×40 and Weaver rings, certainly not on the same level as the rifle. In normal use, the .270 got a few dings in the stock so the beautiful walnut stock came off and an inexpensive synthetic stock went on. For Christmas sometime around 1996, I used my employee discount at Sports Authority (back when they actually had a gun section) to get a Leupold VX-II 3-9×50 for my dad’s .270.

A few years after my dad bought the .270, I had saved up enough working at Sports Authority to purchase my own rifle. It was a Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight with the reintroduced pre-64 action. Atop it went a Simmons 44 mag 3-9×44. Over the years it ended up with a Zeiss Conquest scope on it.

My dad is not getting around great anymore so last year he asked me to come get his gun cabinet which included the .270. I swapped the Zeiss from the ‘06 onto the .270 and put the VX-II on the ‘06. The .270 still wears the plastic stock as it still gets used, but the original walnut stock is in a padded case. One of these years I’m going to take it and have the dings removed.

This is an heirloom rifle and as long as I’m around it will never leave the family. I had a baby girl two years ago, so this is truly Grandaddy’s (Pa Pa as she calls him) gun.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar